Can you View the Speeding Ticket Photo Evidence?

If you’ve received a speeding ticket and a Notice of Intended Prosecution you may want to see the photographic evidence. The Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) will be sent to the vehicle’s registered keeper.

Speeding Lawyer Helpline

Fill out the form
and we'll be in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Or give us a call:
01843 232 791

Evidence that a photograph shows can be vital to your case. In fact, the evidence can help the court decide if you are responsible for the alleged offence.

Proving you were Speeding

The police will need to prove that you were indeed caught speeding. They may try to use evidence to prove that you had broken the speed limit.

One of the methods that may use involves a speed camera or a hand held camera. In relation to the alleged offence, you may have the opportunity to see a calibration certificate.

The calibration certificate shows the court and the driver that the camera was operating correctly. If the camera is found to have been operating correctly the court can use the certificate to prosecute you.

When you were alleged to have been speeding, if a police officer was using a handheld device they will have to show their training certificate.

The certificate of training shows that the officer in question has the correct training. This means the can operate the device and use it to catch motorists.

When There’s No Photographic Evidence

In cases where there’s no photograph evidence, a police officer may use other evidence against you. This may be because the offence could have been caught on a hand held device.

The evidence may show your speed which could be crucial to the police in your case. In addition to this, the camera’s display may show a photograph of the alleged offence.

The display may also show how fast your vehicle was travelling at the time. What’s more, is the display may also show your number plate.

How to See the Speeding Ticket Photo Evidence

A police officer can show you any evidence that they have. They may show you the speed gun that has your speed displayed on it.

A police officer may also have video evidence of your speeding offences. If you were not shown the evidence at the time you can still request it.

Contact the police in writing asking to see the evidence. If they do have evidence the police will use it during your court hearing.

If a Speed Camera Caught you

Perhaps you can remember who was driving the vehicle and you were the driver you can include this information in a letter. The letter can ask for any photographic evidence that the police has.

However, the police don’t have to show you the evidence just yet. When your NIP arrives in the post there will be an identification number on it.

This number allows you to access any photographic evidence. You will need to return your Notice of Intended Prosecution no more than 28 days after the offence.

When the Police Refuse to Show you the Evidence

If the police refuse to show you the evidence you may wish to plead not guilty. However, guidelines dictate that the police have to show the evidence there is something you can do.

During your appearance in court. you can request that your fixed penalty is not increased. You could mention that you have not made any unreasonable requests.

It’s important to mention that you have made no attempt to delay your hearing.

If you Were Speeding

If you were speeding you won’t have much need to ask for any evidence. In the case where it turns out that the calibration certificate does not exist or it’s out of date requesting it may be useful.

The court may offer you a penalty notice and it would be wise to accept it. This is due to the face that the notice could expire when you are searching for evidence.

If there is evidence your speeding fine could be higher or you could get more penalty points. You might offered the chance to attend a speed awareness course.

Choosing to Plead Guilty

If you have pleaded guilty you can change the plea once you have seen the evidence. You can, in fact, change your plea at any time.

If you’re not Sure Who Was Driving

If it isn’t clear who was driving you may wish to see the photographic evidence. You can do this even if the evidence was not sent with the NIP.

The police may mention that they don’t need to have a photograph that shows you were driving the vehicle. They may say that all it needs to show is the vehicle.

The Accuracy of the Speed Camera

Courts tend to accept the accuracy of a speed camera. However, if there is evidence that may otherwise show the camera is not accurate you could challenge it.

If you plan to challenge the evidence you may wish to hire a speeding lawyer. Depending on how fast you were travelling you could lose your driving licence or be given many penalty points.