Find a Speeding Solicitor to Help you

If you need a speeding solicitor then it’s important to find one that is right for you. You will need to find a solicitor who has successfully helped those who have been caught speeding.

However, you should be aware that not all speeding offence solicitors are experts. Drive Protect’s solicitors have a lot of experience dealing with motoring law and a range of road traffic issues.

If you have received a speeding ticket you might need to hire speeding solicitors as they could seriously help you fight your case. However, this all depends on the severity of the situation.

The UK’s Speed Limits

If you drove over the speed limit a police officer might want to remind you of the speed limits on UK roads. As a reminder, the speed limits are:

  • 30 mph in built-up areas
  • 70 mph on dual carriageways
  • 60 mph on single carriageways
  • 70 mph on motorways

The speed limits on UK roads are pretty straightforward and if you break them you’re likely to get a fixed penalty or be charged with a driving offence. The good news is that you can challenge a motoring offence charge made against you.

You are entitled to seek legal advice should you wish to. Did you know Drive Protect’s lawyers have convinced the police to accept a speed awareness course for a driver who wasn’t originally offered one?

If you would like to speak to our speeding solicitors please get in touch with us now.

When you go Over the Speed Limit by a Lot

If you exceeded the speed limit by quite a lot there’s always a chance that you could be prosecuted. In a case such as this, you might find the help of a solicitor quite beneficial.

You might have to attend court and have at least 3 penalty points added to your driving licence. There is also the chance that you could pay a fine or be disqualified from driving.

Contesting a Speeding Ticket

You may have plans to contest your speeding ticket but did you know the court only has to prove one thing before they charge you? The court only has to prove you were speeding.

A magistrates court will not accept a plea of “I did not realise I was breaking the speed limit”. It might, therefore, be in your interest to admit you broke the speed limit.

You will have the chance to admit you were speeding when your Notice of Intended Prosecution arrives in the post.

The Next Step

The punishment you’re likely to receive will depend on the speed you were travelling at. It will also depend on the area’s speed limit.

If, for example, you were travelling at 42 mph in a 40 zone it’s unlikely that you will be charged with dangerous driving. However, if you were going 49 mph in a 40 zone you could receive some penalty points.

In addition to this, if you get 12 or more penalty points in a 3 year period (or less) you could receive a driving ban.

Penalty Notices

Whether you have been caught by speed cameras or by a police officer at the side of the road you are likely to receive a Fixed Penalty Notice. The fixed fee will be at least £100 and you’ll have 3 points (or more) added to your licence.

What New Drivers Should Know

If you are a new driver, the charges surrounding speeding will differ for you. If you accumulate 6 or more points within just 2 years of getting your licence you could lose it.

To get your licence back you will have to sit both the written and the practical driving tests again. Please note, the points will remain on your licence for anywhere between 3 years and a decade.

However, there are a wide range of speeding offences that can be committed. Therefore, you should not expect your penalty to be the same as another person’s.

Responding to the Notice of Intended Prosecution

If you are caught speeding you’ll receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) within 14 days. Once your NIP is with you it’s vital that you respond to it within 28 days.

You will need to tell the court who was driving the car/truck etc. at the time of the alleged offence. If you are unable to prove who was driving you might have to show the court you did what you could to determine who the driver was.

Make sure you give the court the contact details of anyone who could have been driving the vehicle. Once they have received the NIP, the court will send you or the driver a fixed penalty notice.

If you receive a Single Justice Procedure notice from the court it means you’re being summoned. It could, therefore, be beneficial to you to seek legal advice.

When you Need the Help of a Speeding Solicitor

If you were drink driving or your speeding resulted in someone else sustaining a personal injury please speak to speeding solicitors. Our solicitors have a lot of experience and can help the court to look more favourably on you.

Drive Protect’s lawyers have convinced the police to accept a speed awareness course for a driver who wasn’t originally offered one? If you have been caught speeding please talk to us today.