Find the Right Speeding Lawyer for you

When you’re in need of a speeding lawyer you need to make sure you find the right one for you. You need to find a lawyer who has a proven track record.

Not all lawyers are experts in their field, however, those who work with Drive Protect have years of experience when it comes to dealing with a wide range of road traffic offences. If you have been given a speeding ticket or you’ve been told to attend a speed awareness course you may need the help of a lawyer.

This is because the lawyer might be able to fight the case for you.

Speed Limits

If you have been caught speeding you may have been driving a little too quickly on our roads. The speed limits for UK roads are:

– Built up areas: 30 miles per hour (20 miles per hour in some areas)
– Dual carriageways: 70 miles per hour (Unless otherwise stated)
– Single carriageways: 60 miles per hour
– Motorways: 70 miles per hour (Unless otherwise stated)

The UK’s speeding laws are quite straight forward. Those who have been caught breaking the speed limit are breaking motoring law.

However, you do have the right to challenge the allegation that has been made against you. If you have already been convicted of a speeding, a speeding offence lawyer could seriously help you.

Please note that some speeding laws in Scotland may differ from those in England and wales. Drive Protect’s lawyers have previously managed to get the police to accept a speed awareness course for drivers who weren’t originally offered one.

If you think you need to speak to one of our specialist speeding lawyers please contact us today.

Exceeding the Speed Limit by a Large Margin 

Anyone who is caught breaking the speed limit by a large margin is likely to face prosecution. This is where some legal representation may come in handy.

You may have to go to court and you may have up to 6 points added to your licence. There is also a chance that you may be disqualified from driving or face having to pay a fine.

When you Wish to Contest a Speeding Ticket

If you have been caught speeding and you wish to contend the speeding ticket you may be surprised to learn that the court only has to prove that you broke the speed limit. The magistrates court is unlikely to accept your plea of “I didn’t know I was speeding”.

You may, therefore, wish to admit that you were speeding. You usually have the opportunity to do this when you receive your notice of intended prosecution (NIP).

What Happens Next?

In the majority of speeding offences, the punishment’s severity will ultimately depend on how fast you were driving above the speed limit. For example, if you were driving at 35 miles per hour in a 30 zone you’re not likely to face a disqualification.

However, if you are repeatedly caught driving at 35 in a 30 zone you could accumulate 12 penalty points in less than 3 years. If you are caught driving 45% to 50% higher than the speed limit it is very likely you will receive a driving ban.

You could also have your driving licence taken from you.

Fixed Penalty Notices

Many drivers who have been caught breaking the speed limit will be issued with a fixed penalty notice. A notice such as this has a £100 minimum fine and adds 3 penalty points to your licence.

If you have 12 or more points added to your licence in 3 years you could be disqualified from driving.

New Drivers

New drivers that have been caught speeding the speeding charge will have a different effect on you. If you have been given 6 or more penalty points within 2 years your licence could be revoked.

If you wish to get your licence back you will have to sit both the practical and the written driving tests. The penalty points that you have gained will stay on your driving licence for between 3 and 10 years.

However, this all depends on the type of offence that was committed.

Responding to the Fine or Prosecution

It is very likely that you will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution in the post within 2 weeks. You will then need to respond to the NIP within 28 days.

The response will tell the court who was driving the vehicle when the alleged offence occurred. If you cannot prove who was driving you must do what you can to provide the court with as much information as possible.

You will need to provide the contact details (Names, addresses, driving licence numbers and date of birth) of anyone who may have been driving. Once the court has received your NIP it is likely that you will be send a Fixed Penalty Notice.

In a case such as this, it is likely that you will have to pay £100. It can take up to 6 months for you to be summoned to court, should the court think it appropriate.

A Single Justice Procedure notice (SJP) will be sent to you. If you receive an SJP you should seek legal advice.

Issuing a Verbal Warning

If a police officer stops you they may give you a verbal warning. Alternatively, they may inform you that they intend to have you prosecuted.

You may have the chance to attend a speed awareness course instead of having penalty points added to your licence. This is an option you should seriously consider.

When There is Evidence That you were Speeding

If you were caught speeding by a police officer or a speed camera you still have a few options. You can still contest the charge but you should seek legal advice from a Speeding Lawyer.

Many law firms offer a free consultation so they can look at your case and determine if it’s worth you fighting it. However, you may wish to contact us as our lawyers have a lot of experience in dealing with speeding cases and a proven track record.