Is There a Speeding Lawyer Near Me?

Drive Protect is proud to have a speeding lawyer or two who offer help to drivers in both England and Wales. It doesn’t matter what vehicle you drive or whether you drive it for work or leisure, we can help.

We offer legal representation from our speeding offence solicitors to drivers who are alleged to have been caught speeding. Penalties for those who have been caught allegedly speeding can range from penalty points or the need to attend a speed awareness course.

Those drivers who have received a penalty point endorsement only to find they now have 12 or more points could face a ban. However, this is not the case for every driver, it all depends on the cirucmstances surrounding your alleged speed.

Speed Limits

The national speed limits for standard vehicles driven in England and Wales are:

  • Built-up areas – 30 miles per hour (Please note, some areas have a 20 mph limit)
  • Dual carriageways – 70 miles per hour (Unless the speed limit is otherwise stated)
  • Motorways – 70 miles per hour (Unless the speed limit is otherwise stated)
  • Single carriageway – 60 miles per hour

The good news (for a police officer, at least) is that the speed limits are pretty straightforward. If a speed detection camera was to catch you breaking the speed limit you will ultimately be breaking the law.

The even better news is that you have the right to challenge the speed allegation that has been made against you. We have a speed offence lawyer who might be able to help you.

Our team of legal experts have a lot of experience dealing with speeding tickets and the law. Our lawyers have managed to get the Police to accept a speed awareness course for a driver when they haven’t been offered one.

When you Wish to Contest a Speeding Ticket

If you have been hit with a speeding ticket you may wish to contest it. However, you should be aware that all the court needs to do is prove that you were speeding.

This means that if you didn’t notice you were speeding or you had a good reason why you were speeding you could still be charged. Your defence is unlikely to be considered.

However, when you speak to a speeding lawyer they will let you know what the court might do.

What Punishment Will you Receive? 

The punishment you could receive may well depend on what speed the speed camera clocked you doing. It also depends on how far the specific speed limit was exceeded.

Let’s imagine you were travelling at 75 miles per hour in a 70 zone. In this case, you’re unlikely to be disqualified for dangerous driving.

However, if you are caught breaking speed limits time and time again you could be disqualified. If you have had 12 or more points added to your driving licence within a 3 year period you could be disqualified.

What’s more, is if you are caught driving at 45% to 50% higher than the speed limit you could have your driving licence seized. If you are a new driver and you have accumulated 6 or more penalty points in 2 years your licence could be revoked.

When and if you wish to have your licence back you will have to re-apply for it. In addition to this you will have to take the written test again and sit the practical driving test.

You should also be aware that the points you’ve accumulated could stay on the driving licence from 3 to 10 years.

Answering your Fine or Prosecution

If you are caught speeding you’ll receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution. The NIP will arrive within 14 days of you being “Caught”.

You will then be given up to 28 days to respond to your NIP. You will also need to name the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged incident.

If you cannot name the driver you will have to give the court as much information as you can. It is up to you to include the name, address, date of birth and driving licence numbers of those who might have been driving.

It might take the court 6 months to respond to you and send you a court summons. When they do you will receive a Single Justice Procedure.

If you do receive an SJP you should get in touch with one of our lawyers. Our lawyers have successfully defended many speeding cases and other road traffic offences.

When you are Stopped by a Police Officer 

If and when a police officer stops you they might give you a verbal warning. However, they may also tell you that they intend to prosecute you as you have broken motoring law.

Some drivers are given the chance to attend a speed awareness course. This is an alternative to having 3 or more points added to your licence.

However, you will still have to pay a fine even if you attend the course. Not every driver will be offered a place on the course.

Taking your Case to Court

If you think you have reason to argue your case you may wish to take it to court. However, you need to make sure that you know how to navigate the legal world.

This is because the law can be somewhat confusing to those who are unfamiliar with it. In fact, if you’re not adequately prepared the court could look down on you.

They will not appreciate it if you cannot show enough evidence or you cannot successfully defend yourself. This is why you should speak to local law firms who might be able to offer you free consultation.

When you need the help of a lawyer, you may wish to contact one of our experienced speeding lawyers.

Is There a Speeding Lawyer Near Me?

The good news is that there is a speeding lawyer near you. This is because here at Drive Protect, we operate throughout the whole of England and Wales.

This means you can get in touch with a speeding lawyer quickly and easily. People contact us via their mobile phones or via email should they wish to.

If you think you have a case or you simply want some advice about your Notice of Intended Prosecution, we can help.